More Information

Young male smiling

General Information

Individual Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Information

The PCA program is for people enrolled in one of Minnesota’s Health Care Programs (MHCP) who need to support with daily activities in order to remain independent in the community. PCA workers support people as they carry out daily activities like dressing, grooming and eating. PCAs also accompany people into the community. For more information on Personal Care Assistance, see the Personal Care Assistance page on the DHS website.

Community First Services and Supports (CFSS) Information

DHS is in the process of replacing PCA with CFSS. CFSS is similar to PCA in many ways, but it will offer participants more control, flexibility, responsibility and choice in how they use the service. The eligibility for CFSS will be the same as the eligibility for PCA. Follow this link for further information regarding CFSS.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Submit a request using DHS’s certificate request form.

If you cannot find your certificate, try the following:

  1. Check your email. When you passed the test, you should have received an email from
  2. Attempt to retrieve your certificate by going to the bottom of the registration page and enter your information.
  3. If neither of the above work, fill out this form and we will contact you to assist you.

You need to take the PCA/CFSS support worker test.

Not at this time. DHS is in the process of transition from PCA to CFSS. When DHS is closer to implementing CFSS, DHS will issue further instructions.

You will need to be hired by a PCA agency in order to provide and be paid for providing PCA services. If you haven't already been hired by a PCA agency, you can find a list of PCA agencies within Minnesota by:

  1. Reviewing the Minnesota HealthCare Provider Directory
  2. Searching for a provider by TYPE, by selecting Personal Care Services
  3. Searching for an agency by any criteria, such as county or zip code

The transition of PCA agencies to Community First Services and Supports (CFSS) agencies will begin this year. You can attend the PCA steps for success training in March 2022, but may wish to wait until DHS begins offering CFSS Steps for Success. DHS will share information on training for new CFSS provider agencies in spring 2022.

During the transition to Community First Services and Supports (CFSS) , PCA agencies will still need QPs who have met the training requirement. New QPs must take the PCA qualified professional training. After completing the training, register for and pass the test. Your certification email will contain instructions on your next steps.

Current agency owners, managers and QPs need to take to CFSS transition training for current PCA agencies in order to continue serving in a similar role in CFSS. After completing the training, register for and pass the test. Your certification email will contain instructions on your next steps.

After registering, you should receive an email with a link to the exam. Check your email, including your junk folder, for an email from If you do not have an email from that address, you may have entered your email address wrong. Make sure you have your correct email address and try registering again.